A recent independent evaluation of Big Brothers Big Sisters of L.A. confirmed that the youth who participate in their programs are:
- 99% more likely to avoid adolescent pregnancy;
- 84% more likely to experience higher levels of self-esteem;
- 76% less likely to use alcohol and drugs or to engage in gangs and violence;
- 62% more aware of educational and career options;
- 57% more likely to improve their academic performance; and
- 53% more likely to experience improved relationships with their peers and family members.
Hundreds of children around the United States are on waiting lists with Big Brothers Big Sisters longing for the day when they will meet their mentors.