“In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; and in all things, love.”
Moravian Sugar Cake
1 pkg. active dry, or cake, yeast
1 purpose flour
1/4 cup light-brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup warm (not hot), or lukewarm, water
2 tablesp. butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teasp. salt
1/2 teasp. cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
11/2 teasp. water
1 egg, well beaten
1/3 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1/2 cup hot mashed potato (instant)
1 teasp. hot water
2 3/4 cups sifted all- purpose flour
1/4 teasp. vanilla extract
1. In large bowl. sprinkle or crumble yeast onto warm water (use lukewarm water for cake yeast) ; stir until yeast is dissolved.
2. Stir in granulated sugar, salt, 1/2 cup melted butter, egg. mashed potato; blend thoroughly. Add half of flour; with spoon, beat until smooth. Add remaining flour; mix well. Cover bowl with waxed paper, then damp towel; refrigerate at least 12 hr.
3. Turn dough into greased 9″ x 9″ x 2″ pan; with floured fingers. spread evenly in pan. Cover. and let rise in warm place (about 85° F.) until doubled in bulk.
4. Start heating oven to 400° F. Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, 2 tablesp. melted butter, cinnamon, and water. With thumb, make shallow depressions in dough, about 1″ apart; spoon some of brown-sugar mixture into each.
5. Bake cake 20 to 25 min.. or until done; cool; then drizzle with combined confectioners’ sugar, hot water, and vanilla.