Mom sent me a link the other day from Oprah.com. It’s about writing memoir. At the end, there are 10 writing prompts.
- Write two pages of something you can’t deny.
- Write two pages of what got left behind.
- Write two pages of something you wrote or did that you no longer understand.
- Write two pages of apologizing for something you didn’t do.
- Write two pages about a physical characteristic you are proud to have inherited or passed on.
- Write two pages of what you had to have.
- Write two pages of humiliating exposure.
- Write two pages about a time when you felt compassion unexpectedly.
- Write two pages of what you have too much of.
- Write two pages of when you knew you were in trouble.
Just reading the prompts brings up all sorts of images and feelings of wanting to cling to privacy. I guess that’s fine; I mean, no one is suggesting that the two pages automatically end up on-line. They’re building blocks, puzzle pieces, tools, ingredients.
I guess I better get busy.
Oh, and yeah, my mom’s pretty awesome for encouraging to write.